Sue Bradley wrote The Ryder News (a.k.a. "Sue's News") until 2021.
The Ryder News is now written by Kathy Kallestad and is published by the McLean County Independent out of Garrison, ND.

Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Ryder News Jul 23, 2020

Ryder News for July 23, 2020 

Rummage event at the Ryder Community Gym
 

There was a steady stream of people going to the Ryder Community Club Gym to take in the huge rummage event this past weekend. There were a lot of bargains to be found, bargains because everything was free! Even tho I am downsizing preparing to move, I did manage to find a few bargains. I found some books, 2 CD’s and a DVD. Some of the bargains included books, cookbooks, clothes, furniture, dishes, pressure cookers, tupperware, pictures, toys, lots of baby items and much more. Many of these items were brand new. 

 

Troy Fliginger cooking babyback ribs for the Nathan Wohlk Benefit

There was a great turnout at the Nathan Wohlk benefit. There was a ton of good food...babyback ribs cooked by Troy Fliginger, coleslaw, beans and a variety of bars and cookies. There was also a silent auction with all sorts of items to be silently bid on including a snowmobile and trailer, swords, rifles, quilts, pies and a variety of gift baskets. There was a lot of spirited bidding silently going on! Plus there was live music by Tyler Keller. It looked like everyone was having a good time with all the visiting and eating and just enjoying the evening. There were a few dark looking storm clouds that hovered over the event several times but they all managed to go away without shedding a drop of rain on the crowd. 

 

Enjoying the meal while practicing social distancing at the Nathan Wohlk Benefit

It looks like this may be the week of rainy weather as it has been raining almost all day today (Monday) and lots more in the forecast! There were quite a few cold air funnels seen in the area...in Parshall, Carrington and south of Plaza. They say that these cold air funnels very rarely touch the ground and if they should happen to, the damage is minimal. There was also a tornado funnel cloud reported at White Shield. 

I had been noticing mouse droppings in my entry and in my kitchen for several days and the little bugger just didn’t want to be caught. I put out new mouse poison behind my dryer and under the sink and the cat either laid in front of the sink or in the entry but no luck. I found my sticky traps and put two under the sink. So, this morning I discovered a tiny little baby mouse in one of the traps. No mama mouse or any more babies, so that means I probably have about 10 more babies running around somewhere in this house and getting bigger and bigger. I really don’t want to use a regular mouse trap as most of the time I catch my finger while trying to set it. Hopefully the poison and sticky traps will work! 

With all my complaining last week about when the power goes off, it takes forever for me to get my TV and cable box reset. My brother talked me into getting a battery back up and surge protector strip to plug all my components into and that way if the power flashes off, the TV and cable box won’t lose power and I won’t have to figure out how to reset them. I managed to get him to unplug all my stuff from my old power strip and plug everything into the new one. He did ask me who did all the plugging in on the old one as the cords were all tangled up. Ha ha, he should have known it was me! I’d had to plug them in so many different times that I finally didn’t care if they were tangled up or not as they were all hidden behind the TV anyway.

There will be an Easton Braaten Blood Drive on Sunday Aug. 2nd at the Ryder Gym from noon to 5 p.m. 

 

Upcoming Events: 

Ryder’s Calvary church will continue to hold Parking Lot Drive-In Church services at 10:30 every Sunday morning until further notice. Tune to 107.5 on your FM radio station to listen to the service.  

July 26--9 a.m.  Worship service at Hope Lutheran Church of Makoti. 

July 26--10:30 a.m. Worship service at Immanuel Lutheran Church of Roseglen.