Sue Bradley wrote The Ryder News (a.k.a. "Sue's News") until 2021.
The Ryder News is now written by Kathy Kallestad and is published by the McLean County Independent out of Garrison, ND.

Thursday, April 6, 2017

Ryder News Apr. 6, 2017



Ryder News for April 6, 2017

How many of you enjoyed playing April Fool’s tricks on friends and family? Since it was dialysis day for Kenny I didn’t bother trying to fool him altho I did have one in mind. I guess he pulled a few pranks on the nurses in the dialysis unit. So if you have any good ones to tell about, maybe you would like to share them with the rest of us!

So baseball season has started and the Minnesota Twins play their first game of the season this afternoon, April 3rd. This will tie up my evenings for quite a while as I just hate to miss a game no matter how mad I get at them!

Harold Neukom and his 6-1/2 pound Walleye.

Kathy (Kronbach) Kallestad of Garrison sent a picture she took on September 13, 1992, in Ryder, North Dakota, of her Uncle Harold Neukom and the 6-1/2 pound Walleye he caught that day. Harold loved to fish!  March 27, 2017, would have been his 90th birthday.

I received a very nice letter from Allison Bostow -Beuchler about the passing away of her uncle James Bowen. She had included his obit but I did inform her that I had already put what I could about him in last week’s news. Here is her letter.
“Hi Sue.
Thank you for keeping everyone informed on the happenings of Ryder. I look forward to your weekly write ups, it gives me a sense of connection back to my younger days when I would spend my summers with my grandparents and grounds me back to where I came from which was rural North Dakota. Life gets so busy and you remind me weekly to slow down and appreciate right what's in front me. I thought I would share with you the passing of my uncle James Bowen.  The Bowen family continues to remain quite close and even though we may only see each other once a year, through technology we are all each a text or email away.  I consider myself so lucky to grow up with so many cousins and the Bowen family gatherings that I will never forget. Many times over we are asked if there is one person we could sit down and have a conversation with my answer has always been the same. My Grandma Bowen. Uncle James obituary is at the link below.  Prayers to you as you continue your treatments
From: Allison Bostow -Beuchler/Minot Granddaughter of Jim and Phyllis Bowen daughter of Scott and Betty Bostow formerly of Rural Douglas.”

Sheryl Erb Tolson also sent a short e mail. “I am saddened to read of the death of another of my classmates from the 1963 class of Ryder. Thank you for reporting, Sue. If not for you writing the news I would miss many of the happenings.”

Alyssa Johansen, one of the Enerbase scholarship recipients.

Congratulations to Alyssa Johansen, daughter of Jamie and Nikki Zablotney Johansen of Ryder. She was chosen as one of the Enerbase scholarship recipients. Alyssa is a Senior at Max Public School. Her grandparents are Terry and DelRaye Johansen and Ed and Bernadyne Zablotney.

Ward County Bookmobile.

Ward County Bookmobile comes to Ryder's Main Street on the 2nd and 4th Wednesday of each month from 12-12:30 p.m. Anyone can stop and check out a book.

There will be a bridal shower for Jamie Larson, bride-to-be of Tyrone Deutsch at the Makoti Senior Citizens Center on April 9 at 2 p.m.

Ryder’s annual Palm Sunday Dinner made and served by the men of St. John’s Lutheran Church will be held on April 9th from 11:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. The men are serving Roast Beef, Mashed Potatoes, Vegetable, etc. all for a free will offering. Celebrate Palm Sunday with a meal and fellowship at St. John’s Lutheran Church of Ryder. Everyone is welcome.

Ryder’s Food Pantry is open and there is a free social luncheon at the Ryder Community Club/Gym starting at 11 a.m. til 1 p.m. on the 2nd and 4th Saturday of every month.

Old Roseglen News by Mrs. Earl Pederson.

“Sunday, Mr. and Mrs. Arnold Hill had as dinner guests, Mr. and Mrs. Ernest Giffey Sr., Mr. and Mrs. Vade Rankin, Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence Snippen, Art and Scotty Skeiten, Mr. and Mrs. Julius Mattson, and Mrs. Vera Giffey.
Friday evening, February 22, the Roseglen Farmers Union plans to have its Budget Fund Party at the Roseglen Hall beginning at 8 p.m. Progressive whist will be played, which will be followed by square dancing and a pie social. So if you another evening of fun and entertainment, keep the date February 22 in mind, and come to the Roseglen hall. You’ll enjoy yourselves, we know.
The White Shield Invitational Grade Basketball Tournament got off to its first start Thursday evening. White Shield won the first game over Max with a score of 30 to 19, and Underwood lost to Garrison in the second game which was a very close game. The Girls’ Chorus sang and Linda and Patsy Kolden tap danced and did acrobats during the half of the game. A large crowd was on hand for the games which will continue through Saturday.”

Upcoming Events:

April 7: BINGO starting at 7 p.m. at Ryder’s Community Building and Gym.

April 9: Services at St. Paul’s Lutheran Church of Makoti at 9 a.m.

April 9: Services at St. John’s Lutheran Church of Ryder at 10:30 a.m. with communion followed by Palm Sunday Dinner

April 9: Services at Calvary Church of Ryder at 10:30 a.m. with Sunday school at
9:30.

April 9: Bridal shower for Jamie Larson at the Makoti Senior Citizens Center at 2 p.m.

April 15: Annual Easter Egg Hunt in Ryder Park

May 7: St. John’s annual mother daughter Luncheon featuring “Da Lutherlic Ladies” These ladies have performed at the Dickens in Garrison.

Have a great week and enjoy this nice warm weather!