Sue Bradley wrote The Ryder News (a.k.a. "Sue's News") until 2021.
The Ryder News is now written by Kathy Kallestad and is published by the McLean County Independent out of Garrison, ND.

Thursday, March 23, 2017

Ryder News Mar. 23, 2017


Ryder News for Mar. 23, 2017

I hope everyone got their fill of all things green on St. Patrick’s Day. There were drinks, food, clothes, hair, and of course some kind of green people! I think I had enough for this year.

I have a few death notices to add to the news:
Charles Jack Liffrig passed away March 11, 2017 at the Maple View Memory Care Center in Grand Forks.

Eleanor Petrick of Makoti passed away on March 6, 2017 in a Minot nursing home.

Our sympathy goes out to the families.

After today, Monday, I have 2 radiation treatments left and then some follow up stuff. Of course, I still have chemo and oral cancer pills.

Jade Hagen had a 4.0 GPA at the Fayetteville, NC Community College where she is attending in preparation for her degree in Mortuary Science. This was for the fall semester. She is the wife of Ryan Hagen (daughter-in-law of Marvin and Maureen of Ryder), She is also pregnant with twins and the latest ultrasound showed that the babies are doing great! Congratulations Jade, you are doing a fantastic job!

I received the following letter the other day.

“Dear Sue Bradley - -



My name is Tricia Byrne and I have a strong connection to Ryder, ND.  



Faye Karna of the Ryder Historical Society was kind enough to share your contact information with me after I'd asked her if she knew who owned the house in which my grandparents, mother, and aunt and uncles lived back in 1930 ... give or take several additional years.  My grandparents were Carl and Maude Petersen and my grandfather worked at the town creamery.  His children were Loretta; Carl, Jr.; my mother Blanche; and Bob.  All the children less Bob graduated from the school ... now closed ... in Ryder.    

The attached photo of the home on Daily Street where they lived are from family reunions: The photo is from 2015 and left to right -- my brother, my cousin Peter (from AZ), me, my cousin Tom (from Bismarck), and my cousin Kay (from Bismarck).  You may wonder how I know my family lived there and it's because my mother showed me the house when she attended a class reunion many years ago and also because family friend George Officer, who was a boyhood friend of my uncle Bob told me.


REQUEST:  Anyway, I'm writing you because we are having another family reunion this year.  I was wondering if you would permit us to one at a time look around the first floor of the house?  If not, would you consider opening the front door and letting us look inside from the front step?  This may sound like an odd request, but it would mean a great deal to a number of us as a way to feel a little closer to the parents we miss.  If you think any of this might be ok with you, I'd gladly write you a check to compensate you for your time.  We are a trustworthy group consisting of a research scientist, retired military officer, rancher, realtor, attorney and our spouses.

However, if you don't feel comfortable with letting us inside or permitting us to look inside from the front and / or back doors, of course, I respect your wishes.

We are likely to be seen out in the front yard again smiling before a camera.  :-)  The day we will visit will be Friday, 14 July 2017.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

All my best wishes to you.

Sincerely,

Tricia Byrne”


Well, I was stumped as to the whereabouts of this house was and just to whom it belonged to until I saw the pictures! Guess what...it is what we call the Paulson House and I am the owner!!! I plan on meeting with them this summer and make their dreams come true.

Relatives of Carl and Maude Peterson who used to own the Paulson House: Bob, Peter, Tricia, Tom, Kay. Picture taken in front of house.

Stan “Dewey” and Eloise Hjelmstad
 
I have a picture sent to me by Faye Karna showing Stan “Dewey” and Eloise Hjelmstad on March 13, 2017. They had celebrated Eloise’s birthday a few days earlier. They want to say “Hello” to all those who remember the Hjelmstads from the earlier Ryder days.

The band FURNACE at Max Civic Club

Four area teens who are members of the band FURNACE are Remington Bigelow from Makoti, Haylee Rustad from Roseglen, Kaylee Capp from Max and Daniel Starks from Ryder. They have an awesome time making music together and recently provided entertainment for the Max Civic Club.

Old Roseglen News by Mrs. Earl Pederson

"Dennis Hill’s Birthday Party.
February 6th was an important day for Dennis Hill who celebrated his 4th birthday that day. His mother, Mrs. Kenneth invited Dennis’s Sunday School class and the mamas over for the afternoon party.
The table was set for 13 little folks who found special favors at their places as they sat down to eat birthday cake and ice cream, and enjoy watching Dennis blow out the four cowboy candles on his birthday cake.
Dennis received many nice gifts; among them was a bowl containing two lovely gold fish. We’re wondering if they’re still there! What with a two year old sister and a five year old brother to help take care of them, they should survive. Anyway Dennis was a mighty happy boy when he opened his package containing the roller skates from mommy and daddy, his eyes fairly bulged. Oh! To be four again!
Small fry and their names who attended the party were Roger and Patti Cummings, and Miriam; Gerald and Gardell Giffey, and Olive Mae; Kandis and Kyle Giffey, and Venetia; Donny Giffey and Avis; Rodney and Garth Hill, and Dodo; Van and Brent Pederson and Evelyn; and Dennis’s grandmother, Edith Hill and his brother, Daryl and sister, Becky."

More old news to come next week!

Upcoming Events:

Mar. 22: Lenten Services at Immanuel Lutheran Church of Roseglen at 7 p.m. with soup and sandwich at 6 p.m.

Mar. 25: Family Fun Night: Spaghetti Supper 5-7 p.m., free will. There will be music and a Bounce House. Everyone is welcome.

Mar. 25: Food Pantry is open and free social luncheon at the Ryder Community Club/Gym starting at 11 a.m. til 1 p.m. Weather permitting.

Mar. 26: Services at Hope Lutheran Church of Makoti at 9 a.m.

Mar. 26: Services at Immanuel Lutheran Church of Roseglen at 10:30 a.m. with communion

Mar. 26: Services at Calvary Church of Ryder at 10:30 a.m. with Sunday school at
9:30

April 3: Senior Citizen’s Meeting… Time changes to 6 p.m. … delicious meal at 6 p.m. followed by a brief meeting and then lots of fun at Ryder’s Senior Center!

April 7: BINGO starting at 7 p.m. at Ryder’s Community Building and Gym.

April 15: Annual Easter Egg Hunt in Ryder Park

May 7: St. John’s annual mother daughter Luncheon featuring “Da Lutherlic Ladies” These ladies have performed at the Dickens in Garrison.

Have a good week.