Sue Bradley wrote The Ryder News (a.k.a. "Sue's News") until 2021.
The Ryder News is now written by Kathy Kallestad and is published by the McLean County Independent out of Garrison, ND.

Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Ryder News Oct 8, 2020

Ryder News for Oct. 8, 2020 

Mystery Photo
  

It is always fun to take a trip.  These 3 girls had never taken a trip together before so decided it was time to head to Yellowstone and to the Tetons.  They saw many beautiful views including geysers, waterfalls, wildlife, lakes, rivers and the mountains themselves.  Here they are at a man-made lake with their guide for the day.  Do you recognize these gals?  How about their guide? Let me (Sue) know your responses to this mystery photo and watch for responses next week.

We received news of the passing of Lyle Beaton, formerly from Minot area. He was married to Marilyn Hansen, a 1953 Ryder graduate.  Her parents were Elmer and Flo (Bowen) Hansen who lived east of Ryder.  Marilyn and Lyle were living in Rapid City, SD where Marilyn remains as some of their children live there also. 

I saw in the Minot paper that Dennis Schmidt of Minot had passed away on Sept. 23rd in a Minot hospital. Dennis was Ryder’s acting Postmaster several years ago and we all hated to see him leave. He was such a friendly and nice guy.  

A private by invitation graveside service will be held at Rosehill Memorial Park in Minot on October 12, 2020. A livestream of the service will be available 1:00 p.m. by accessing https://www.mtmsales.net/thomas.

Public Visitation will be held on October 11, 2020 from 1:00 p.m. until 4:00 p.m. at Our Redeemer’s Church, Minot. 

A Celebration of Life for Dennis will be held next summer when we are permitted to gather without restriction.

We had election of officers at our monthly Senior Citizens meeting and I was once again voted in to be the Vice President, Fern Skarphol was voted in as the new treasurer to take Gary Hagen’s place. The other officers remained the same.

My cat Shadow must dearly love me as he is always leaving me little animal presents. I got up the other morning to let him out and I saw beside my bed a little deceased mouse that he had dropped off. I remember one morning he had left a little mouse face on the pillow next to Kenny. What a cat!!

 

My new garage.

My garage is finished and now I can start putting stuff in it. In the picture, notice the photo cell lights that were installed by my son-in-law John McGrath. I sure do appreciate all the wiring work that he did inside the garage. Of course, it all had to be inspected by his boss as John is an apprentice electrician.

My new home is now painted inside. She (my painter) did a fantastic job. I love it and I love the colors I picked out with the help of my daughter Staci. I will share a picture of the home next week so you can see what the outside looks like. Now I am waiting for my steps to be built so I can start moving furniture in and then get moved in! After Senior Citizens I had to stop over at my new home as there was a light on and then I noticed a window left open.  Fern Skarphol and Ron and Muriel Peterson stopped over to take a peek. They loved it!!

The Ryder Senior Citizens have been in contact with White Drug of Minot and they have agreed to come to Ryder to administer flu shots. They need to know how many are interested. There is a sign up sheet in the lobby of the Ryder Post Office. Also you may email at sbradley@restel.com. You may also call or text me at 701-720-4297. The time and date will be posted shortly.

There wasn’t much news for this week so I NEED news if you want this column to continue. Please send me what you have been doing and where you have been. I’d love to read it and I’m sure my readers would too. 

 

Upcoming Events:

Oct. 11...10:30 a.m. Ryder’s Calvary church will continue to hold Parking Lot Drive-In Church services at 10:30 every Sunday morning until further notice. Tune to 107.5 on your FM radio station to listen to the service. 

Oct. 11...9 a.m. Worship Service at St. Paul’s Lutheran Church of Makoti.

Oct. 11...10:30 a.m. Worship Service with communion at St. John’s Lutheran Church of Ryder.