Sue Bradley wrote The Ryder News (a.k.a. "Sue's News") until 2021.
The Ryder News is now written by Kathy Kallestad and is published by the McLean County Independent out of Garrison, ND.

Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Ryder News Oct 29, 2020

Ryder News for Oct 29, 2020

ELECTION 2020 NEWS:

BALLOTS can be brought in person or deposited in the secure drop box at the Ryder City Hall until 5:00 p.m. on Monday, Nov 2, 2020.

IN PERSON VOTING: You can vote in person from 7 a.m. until 7 p.m. on Nov 3, 2020. 

 

I’m still in the moving process and boy oh boy, this is taking a long time. Just a bunch of little stuff to be moved and then the headache of trying to find a place to put all of it. I am making up boxes of stuff to put in a rummage sale next year! I wonder why a person thinks they need all this stuff. John, Staci and Johnny McGrath helped me once again this weekend. She has been trying to get all of her stuff out of the house too.

I neglected to mention that Troy Alderman was home last week to do some hunting. While he was home he delivered a washing machine that I had gotten from his mother. I sure do appreciate all the help I’ve been getting  from everyone. Elaine Alderman came in one day last week and helped me organize my new living room. We moved my couch, curio cabinets and also put my bookcase together. She was a big help, as evidently she likes to dust and wash glass in curio cabinet doors. I wonder if she will do this every once in a while for me! 

 

DRIVE-IN SERVICES CONTINUE 

“Ryder pastor holds services from deer stand”  

Pastor Jonathan Starks says, “What a great headline and an uplifting write up by Eloise Ogden in the Minot Daily News! I am so thankful for the opportunity to continue to minister to this community in these days where we need to be reminded of Jesus’ hope, peace and love more than ever!” 

Read the article here: 

 

Another former Ryder High attendee has passed away. Romona (Underdahl) Schroepfer died on Aug. 10, 2020. Her parents were Martin and Johanna (Gotenberg) Underdahl and their farm was near Makoti. Her siblings were Gertrude, Gladys (Haugen), Millie (Campbell), Pearl, Ralph, Kenny and Vi (Knutson). Records show that Romona and Vi attended Ryder High with Vi graduating in 1943 while Romona finished her high school in Minot. She is survived by 2 sons, Daniel and Jeffrey, Jeffrey's wife, Melinda, and grandson, Evan.  

 

Another Underdahl, Annie Jensen, graduated from Ryder High in 1936. Do any readers have an update on her for the museum records? If so, just let me, Sue, know. 

 

Marilyn Hudson

I just saw in the paper that Marilyn Hudson had passed away in a Bismarck hospital on Oct. 22, 2020. Since I used to live in Raub, ND I used to see her once in a while and we became friends in later years. Her brother Raymond Cross was a classmate of mine in high school. Marilyn Cross Hudson, 84, Parshall, died Thursday, October 22, 2020 at a Bismarck hospital.  Marilyn Old Dog was born on June 11, 1936 in Elbowoods, North Dakota where she attended school and graduated from Elbowoods High School in 1953. She continued her education at Haskell Institute in Lawrence, Kansas. She had a major role in the history and culture of the Three Affiliated Tribes. She was the historian of the information of the Mandan, Hidatsa and Arikara tribes. The tribal knowledge keeper. 

The family will celebrate Marilyn’s life privately, in respect of CDC, North Dakota, and Mandan Hidatsa Arikara Nation COVID-19 guidelines. A public memorial is tentatively planned for June 2021. 

My sympathy goes out to her family and friends. 

 

James (Jim) Bakken

James (Jim) Bakken, 81 of Minot, longtime educator and administrator, passed away on Friday, Oct. 23, 2020 in a Minot hospital due to Covid 19. Due to the pandemic, funeral arrangements are pending and will be posted once arranged by the family. This is all the information that I have at this time. 

My sympathy goes out to his family and friends.

 

Upcoming Events: 

 

Nov. 1...10:30 a.m. Ryder’s Calvary church will continue to hold Parking Lot Drive-In Church services at 10:30 every Sunday morning until further notice. Tune to 107.5 on your FM radio station to listen to the service.  

Nov. 1...9 a.m. Worship Service at St. John’s Lutheran Church of Ryder. 

Nov. 1...10:30 a.m. Worship Service with communion at Hope Lutheran Church of Makoti.