Sue Bradley wrote The Ryder News (a.k.a. "Sue's News") until 2021.
The Ryder News is now written by Kathy Kallestad and is published by the McLean County Independent out of Garrison, ND.

Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Ryder News Jan 30, 2020

Ryder News for Jan. 30, 2020 

Winter is the time for soups it seems and in the last few weeks, I’ve made a big pot of chili and at the same time Rick made a big pot of chicken noodle soup. I made a big batch of ham and bean soup the other day. I think I am getting filled up on soup for the time being. I did freeze some of the chicken noodle soup so my brother can take it back to Williston with him when he comes down this week. 

I wonder what kind of weather we are going to have during the months of February and March with all this fog we’ve been having. Having foggy weather usually means moisture in the coming days or weeks, at least that’s what the old wive’s tales tell us. We’ll probably be up to our ears in snow! I do know that we have had some icy roads over the weekend and  today.  

Those with the correct answer to the question, “Which daughter is in the picture with Alice Kotaska?” were Shirley Bezanson, Annette Nelson and Stewart Bofenkamp, who all guessed that it was her daughter Darlene. 

We lost another Ryder resident on Sunday, Jan. 26th. William (Bill) Quinn passed away at his home after a 3 year long battle with throat cancer. R.I.P Bill, the Ryder community will miss you. My sympathy goes out to his family and friends. 

Once a month St. John’s Lutheran Church of Ryder has an evening service (usually at 5 p.m.) on the last Saturday of the month. This time we had the sermon followed by a taco meal in the basement and then back upstairs to have popcorn and watch the movie, “I Can Only Imagine”. It was a good sermon, delicious tacos and a great movie! We are going to have to do this again as it was a fun time for everyone. 

Faye Karna sent me an article about Janice Eick, daughter of Tillie and John Stueflat formerly of Ryder. Janice is on a museum board in Seymour, Wisconsin and she said, “This may sound funny, but there is a small museum in the little town of Ryder, ND where I was born in 1937. Last year the museum was given original blacksmith shop equipment that was found in someone’s barn. The equipment had been owned by my grandfather and dad. They were blacksmiths in the community for years from the 1930’s on. The historical society reconstructed the shop in their museum in honor of my dad and grandfather. My twin sister, Jean and I were invited to see this exhibit. Memories came back to us, as we used to help in the shop to glue and roll granulates on wheels to power the trip hammer and grinders for the plow leas.” 

Upcoming Events: 

Feb. 2--Groundhog Day! 
Feb. 2--9:15 a.m. Sunday School at Calvary Church in Ryder for preschool through adult. 
Feb. 2--10:30 a.m. Calvary Church Worship Service in Ryder. 
Feb. 2--9 a.m. Worship service at St. John’s Lutheran Church in Ryder. 
Feb. 2--10:30 a.m. Worship service at Hope Lutheran Church in Makoti with communion. 
Feb. 3--Ryder Senior Citizens at noon. All area seniors are welcome. There will be a potluck meal. 
Feb. 22--10-1 p.m. Ryder Community Food Pantry open