Sue Bradley wrote The Ryder News (a.k.a. "Sue's News") until 2021.
The Ryder News is now written by Kathy Kallestad and is published by the McLean County Independent out of Garrison, ND.

Thursday, May 2, 2019

Ryder News May 2, 2019


Ryder News for May 2, 2019
By Sue Bradley - sbradley@restel.com
701-758-2239 or 701-720-4297

After I write my column, I go back into it to tweak it and maybe change words around so it reads better or makes more sense, so after proofreading it two or more times, I send it off to the paper and to my daughter Staci so she can put it on the website. Of course even after proofreading it several times, she manages to find at least one mistake. Luckily she tells me and then changes it for me. Sometimes I call the paper and tell them to change it also or I may just decide to leave it. Of course that is what happened with my comeback column so hopefully the mistakes got changed. (They did.)

News Flash: EEK the ticks are out already, so be sure to have bug protection on and check yourself and family members for these nasty little critters!

Logan Christensen picking up trash around Ryder.


A couple of nice young men from Ryder decided to do something for Earth Day (that's what we used to call Easter Sunday), so Coltyn Sherven, son of Shelly and Rick Sherven and grandson of Marlene Otteson, along with Logan Christensen, son of Dan and Carrie Christensen did a good deed by picking up trash on Main Street and also in the park. Thanks a lot guys, I'm sure the city appreciates it.

I spent Easter Sunday with Staci, John, and Johnny McGrath at their home in Minot. She made a delicious ham meal, which we gobbled right up. Then, of course, we went shopping, filled with gas, and got my car washed. I was amazed at the gas mileage it got on the way home...22.9 miles to the gallon. Guess getting all the dirt washed off and a new wax job made my car so happy that I was rewarded with fantastic mileage!

Easter Sunday at Lorraine Nelson's
L to R: Braden Nelson, Father Cory Nelson, Brent Nelson
Front: Lorraine Nelson


Lorraine Nelson of Douglas had lots of company this last week. On Thursday, Greg and Jackie Nelson of Bismarck came to visit and were overnight guests. Friday also had its share of visitors to her home. Matt and Pam Thorton and their kids Kinley and Eve of Bismarck came to visit, as did Curtis and Kim Edwards of Plaza, and then spending Easter Sunday with Lorraine were Brent, Brook and Braden Nelson of Minot and Father Cory Nelson of Tioga.

Spending Easter Sunday with Don and Elaine Alderman were Torri Nelson and David Banks of Ryder, Jacob, Randi and Trayton Krisor of Velva and Allie Nelson and her friend Zac from Minot.

Spending Easter Sunday with Harlan and Fern Skarphol were Fran and Serena Riley and their girls Kim and Maggie. Andrea Skarphol was also there. They enjoyed a delicious ham dinner and had lots of leftovers to snack on.

Spending Easter Sunday with Faye Karna were Tom and  Kellie Erhardt and boys Keaton and Kolby, and Kyann McLaughlin and her kids Payton, Taya and Kayson. They had a sleepover at the farm and also had their candy hunt there.

Easter guests at the Ron Peterson home were Rondi, Steve, Carson and Cole Deaver, Hubby Ostrem and Judy Deaver  all from Minot; Kellie Deaver from Berthold and Kim and Steve Lindemann from Bottineau.

Dwight Paulson from Madison, Wisconsin was a recent visitor at the Ron Peterson home. He has just returned from an extended trip including: Hong Kong, Singapore, Viet Nam, Australia, Bangkok, South Korea and Bali. He will soon be leaving for Greece.

It was Lorraine Nelson's birthday on Friday, the 26th of April. She was 39 one more time! Happy Birthday Lorraine.

Poor little Johnny. He walked into a pole at school on Friday and wound up with a concussion and a trip to the ER. Now he has to take it easy for at least 48 hours. No rough playing, no or very little screen time on his tablet, tv, etc. and no reading. They had to wake him every 2 hours so that wasn't much fun for anybody!

I had a nice surprise visit Saturday afternoon from John, Staci, and Johnny McGrath. They had been to Garrison and decided to go thru Ryder on their way back to Minot. Staci had taken pictures and several videos of Johnny's music program the other morning so she shared them with me. I have this thing on my TV called a fire stick and we can do mirror imaging on it so she was able to connect her cell phone to my TV and I was able to view it all on my big screen. I loved watching him sing and play his recorder. Of course, speaking of recorders, I had to go and dig my old one out (mine was called a flutophone) and Staci's too. Johnny played a tune on both of them.

Courtney Nelson's Nurse Practitioner graduation ceremony.
L to R: Jackie Nelson, Courtney Nelson, Greg Nelson


Congratulations to Courtney Nelson. She just graduated from Grand Canyon University with a degree in Acute Care Nurse Practitioner/Masters in Nursing. She is the daughter of Greg and Jackie Nelson and granddaughter of Lorraine Nelson.

My oh my...I sure am getting a lot of positive feedback on my rejoining the newspaper world. Some have stopped me on the street, some e-mails, a couple of phone calls and a lot of people messaging me on Facebook. Sure nice to have so many people read and enjoy the things I write about! Please remember that I still need your help with this column with news and pictures.

Upcoming Events: 

May 3--7 p.m. Bingo at Ryder Community Club in the old school gym.
May 5--9:15 a.m. Sunday School at Calvary Church of Ryder with Church Service at 10:30 a.m.
May 5--9 a.m. Service at St. John's Lutheran Church of Ryder.
May 5--10:30 a.m. Service at Hope Lutheran Church of Makoti.
May 6--6 p.m. Yard Clean Up and Council Meeting at St. John's Church in Ryder.
May 6--6 p.m. Ryder Senior Citizens, all area senior citizens welcome.

That's it...come back next week to see if I have anything new to talk about.

If we all switched to cursive and stick shift cars, we could cripple an entire generation