Sue Bradley wrote The Ryder News (a.k.a. "Sue's News") until 2021.
The Ryder News is now written by Kathy Kallestad and is published by the McLean County Independent out of Garrison, ND.

Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Ryder News Feb 27, 2020

Ryder News for Feb. 27, 2020 

Mystery Photo
I got a rather neat picture to use for the mystery photo. I’m sure most will guess who this is but decided to use it anyway! 

With this roller coaster weather I am ready for the week...I’ve got my umbrella, my flip flops, turtle neck, suntan lotion, fur coat, sun glasses, my thermals, my tank top and my Vicks!  
Yay, the snow missed us, they had been forecasting 1-3 inches so we lucked out again!  

Grace Magandy told me that the skunks are out, there was one by her place so she said if anyone in Ryder lets their animals out to beware that they might come home stinky! 

Faye Karna reports their grandson, Keaton Erhardt, placed at the State Wrestling Match at Fargo this past weekend.  He has wrestled 2 years for Legacy High. He is the son of Kellie and Tom Erhardt. Faye stayed with Keaton's younger brother. Of course, Kolby would rather have been in Fargo watching his brother. But, he had school. 

Well, it has already started again! My cat, Shadow, has been going outside almost all this winter altho he doesn’t stay out real long. He did stay out quite late the other night and of course, as he did all last summer, brought us treats to leave on the deck. I guess he thinks it’s a reward for me feeding him all the time. Anyway, I at first thought it was a gopher but upon closer inspection...it wasn’t. Then I thought a vole but it didn’t have a pointy little nose then I thought a rat but it didn’t have a long tail. This critter was about 3 times the size of an average mouse. I finally decided that it was a mole. I threw it over the fence this morning as the dogs were quite interested in the dead body! Then Staci sent me a picture of a mole...a mole has little hand looking front feet and I never thought to inspect this one’s feet but I still say it was a mole! 

It looks like there was a pretty good turnout for the Ryder Fire Dept. and First Responders Benefit Breakfast. I  just stopped by to drop off a donation but didn’t stay as I was on my way to Minot. 

My son, Rick smoked a chicken this Saturday with the smoker he got for Christmas. He put a half of a smoked chicken in my fridge while I was in Minot. What a good kid, he does that every once in a while! 

I’m sure that most of my readers read the upcoming events and hopefully saw that we were having a church service at 5 p.m. last Saturday with supper and a movie afterwards. It was a great little meal of sloppy joes, chips, bars and drinks. The movie afterwards was “Breakthrough” and it was a story of a teen who falls  through an icy Missouri lake and had no pulse for  nearly 45 minutes until his mother prayed. This movie was based on a true story. It was a very riveting movie and a tear jerker. 

I was doing a lot of deep coughing during church and the movie so my dear friends convinced me to let them take me to the ER that evening to see if I had pneumonia. They took me over and stayed while I was examined. Staci, John and Johnny McGrath also came to ER for moral support.  Luckily I didn’t have pneumonia, just a cough. I got prescriptions for an antibiotic, stuff for my nebulizer and for my cough. Hope I get over this pretty soon as I’ve had it for at least 3 weeks. 

Danny and Ellen Hoffer’s daughter Katie, married Manuel Mendoza on Feb. 22, 2020. They are making their home in Fresno, California. Congratulations to everyone. 

Upcoming Events: 

Mar. 1--9:15 a.m. Sunday School at Calvary Church in Ryder for preschool through adult. 
Mar. 1--10:30 a.m. Calvary Church Worship Service in Ryder. 
Mar. 1--9 a.m. Worship service at St. John’s Lutheran Church in Ryder. 
Mar. 1--10:30 a.m. Worship Service at Hope Lutheran Church in Makoti with communion.