Sue Bradley wrote The Ryder News (a.k.a. "Sue's News") until 2021.
The Ryder News is now written by Kathy Kallestad and is published by the McLean County Independent out of Garrison, ND.

Thursday, September 1, 2016

Ryder News Sept. 1, 2016


Ryder News for Sept. 1, 2016

I don’t have much news for this week but...I do have pictures! I also visited with some Makoti people and mentioned that I’d sure like to have some Makoti news!

I received a letter from Julie (Nelson) Hatleli and she said, “June Nelson had an illness that kept her in the hospital for 2 1/2 weeks in June and then another 8 weeks in the rehab. facility receiving IV antibiotics. She is doing much better and has moved to an assisted living facility. If anyone would like to send her a note, she would love to hear from you. Her address is 1575 Hoover Driver, Apartment 155, North Mankato, MN 56003.”

I received a postcard from Elinor West and she says, “Hi Sue, Just read your Aug. 4 Ryder News and had to let you know that I remember Brynhild Haugland. I did some typing for her  back in 1944. She paid me $5.00 for it. That was considered quite a lot back in those days. I believe she had a farm north of Minot. I am hoping for a Democratic Congress so they can save social security and medicare for us. Thanks for the Ryder News. Best regards. Elinor West”.

There will be a Tupperware fundraiser set up at the Ryder Community Club/Gym for Maureen Hagen to help with her medical expenses. This will be held Friday, Sept. 2nd before and during bingo. Bingo starts at 7 p.m.

 Shelsey Brandvold, Martial Arts Instructor, Stetson Brandvold 

Shelsey and Stetson Brandvold attended the Kickin In The Park – Moore’s Martial Arts Summer Camp 2016 last weekend. They learned new techniques, practiced hard and tested for a new belt. They both moved up to low Blue. Congratulations on working hard! Moore’s Martial Arts – Max is now enrolling kids grades PK-6 in the fall program. Join us on August 30th and September 1 for a free trial.  Classes will be offered every Tuesday and Thursday from 3:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.  at the Max Civic Hall. For more information call 701-839-9860 or www.facebook.com/mooresshoushuminot.


Tim Ouradnik

Kenny and I attended the Breakfast Benefit for Tim Ouradnik in Makoti on Sunday the 28th. They served around 150 people and the food was great, pancakes, scrambled eggs and sausage, coffee and juice. I love it when they have scrambled eggs! We were able to visit a lot of friends that we don’t always get to see and also was able to take a picture of Tim (with his permission).


Dick Ludwig and Bryce Johansen combining canola.

Kenny and I went to check out how the combining was coming along and I managed to take a picture of my brother and Bryce Johansen combining our canola. They were using John Deere combines and I noticed that no one offered to let me combine. I used to love driving the combine but I used  a red combine (a Massy Ferguson). I remember Kenny Lavadney (when he worked as a salesman for Gooseneck Implement) teasing me about red combines when he sold green ones!

My brother mentioned that someone had said to him that I hadn’t mentioned him in the paper until last week. They said they figured I would get around to it before long--ha ha--I got him in the news this week as well!

Levi Sprinkle (grandson #2) playing with kitchen set.

I had the pleasure of babysitting grandson # 2 this last week. He is such a cute little guy and always smiling. He sure seemed to like to play with the old kitchen set and also the magnetic blackboard with letters and numbers! That kitchen set has been through 3 kids, Staci, Johnny and now Levi.

Johnny McGrath  (grandson #1) on his first day of 2nd grade.
The McGrath’s went camping this weekend at Hiddenwood and that moose was back visiting. They were hoping he hadn’t bedded down in the trees to scare them to death in the morning. Not many fish were caught but they still had a good time.

Upcoming Events:

Sept. 2: Bingo starts at 7 p.m.

Sept. 2: Tupperware Fundraiser (held during Bingo) for Maureen Hagen’s medical expenses.

Sept. 4: Worship services at at St. Paul’s Lutheran Church of Makoti at  9 a.m.

Sept. 4:Worship services at  St. John’s of Ryder at 10:30 a.m.

Sept. 4: Worship services at Ryder’s Calvary Church at 10:30 a.m.

Sept. 12: (The Monday after Labor Day) Senior Citizens delicious meal at 6 p. m. followed by a brief meeting.

That’s it for this week. Watch out for the farmers and also the wildlife on the move.